Following the AST-18 meeting...
The Argo manufacturers will be hosting a one day workshop on Friday, March 17th. All AST participants are welcome to attend. More information about the agenda for the workshop will follow here shortly.
Thursday, 16h00, March 16th - CSIRO Lab Tour
Thursday, 5-6pm (17h00-18h00), March 16th - Joint reception hosted by The Manufacturers™
Friday, 8h30-15h00, March 17th, Manufacturers' Presentations.
PRESENTATIONS ARE NOW ATTACHED!
Afternoon session (manufacturer panel)
13h15 - 14h15 open Q&A
14h15 - 15h00 closing remarks (Argo chairs)
Morning session (one manufacturer, AST participants):
- 8h30-9h00. CLS, Brice ROBERT
- 9h00-9h30. JFE, Kosuke MORI
- 9h30-10h00. NKE (NKE2), Jérôme SAGOT
- 15 minute break
- 10h15-10h45. RBR, Greg JOHNSON
- 10h45-11h15. SBE, David MURPHY
- 11h15-11h45. TSK, Hiroyuki TSUDA
- 11h45-12h15. TWR, Clara HULBERT
- 1h lunch break
AST questions of interest. Manufacturers are invited to address any or all that are relevant.
- Reliability and quality:
- Sources for malfunctions
- Quality Control Procedures
- Sensor drift and stability particularly for pressure, salinity and oxygen
- Reliability and stability of float and CTD technology
- Guarantee conditions offered to customers.
- Please discuss how to set warranty terms in tender exercises that is fair and useful to both suppliers and customers.
- To Teledyne Webb: What is the success rate of the APF-11 Float?
- Data Processing (including calibration)
- Can we reasonably expect an inductive CTD to match an electrode CTD in accuracy and long-term stability?
- Sensor stability and calibration method
- Incorporation of BGC sensors
- BGC floats
- sensor development and performance
- New sensor integration opportunities ... acoustics?
- To MRV: please describe plans, if any, for integrating other sensors eg oxygen, in SOLO or Deep SOLO floats.
- Official Argo floats vs floats, and responsibilities for manufacturers when putting the Argo label on floats.
- How do you manage your Argo stickers purchasing, do you ask JCOMMOPS services to replenish your Argo stickers stock? Do you agree with the label prices provided by JCOMMOPS for the Argo label shipping? What other services could JCOMMOPS provide you?
- New developments.
- Please comment on the merits of RUDICS v SBD for user costs over the lifetime of the float?
- What are you doing to optimise our telemetry costs ? (eg if you don't use data compression before telemetry, why not ?)
- How much telemetry is performed in the prelude before the first cycle, and is this a necessary cost ?
- New float and sensor design
- New opportunities for efficiency.
- Platform developments and performance;
- Discussion of technology problems common across institutions, and ways of addressing them.
- Future developments in the Argo float "technology space." Potential areas where we might be able to collaborate with commercial developers.
- Arctic floats, shelf seas floats
- Coastal and polar applications
Each manufacturer is expected to contribute $150 USD towards the cost of hosting a reception in the evening on Thursday, March 16th (costs based on 40 attendees). Invoices will be issued by RBR Ltd once the total is confirmed. Those who attempt to slip in for a sarnie without admitting they are negligent on payment will be thrown in the harbour.